Monday, December 31, 2012

Top 5 Records 2012

Okay, here it is... my favorite 5 of 2012:

1. Landing (self-titled)
 
Landing (self-titled)
Released: 06/2012
Geographic North Records


I've been a friend of Landing's for a long time. I've been a fan of theirs just as long.  They've made a long career of beautiful, gauzy, droney shoegaze, and have made some pretty killer albums. After a 6-year hiatus to raise a beautiful daughter, Landing have triumphantly returned with their eighth or so album. This album finds them revisiting some of their influences (the cure, slowdive, seefeel) that have always been bubbling under the surface. Landing has managed to create an LP with atmosphere and beauty to match their perfect 2004 album, Sphere. The big surprise, here, is the rhythms-- there's a song called "Heart Finds the Beat," but it could be "Landing Finds the Beat", as they have added a surprisingly kicked-up tempo and danceable beat to their usually solemn sonic template.

I think you oughtta watch these two fun videos, and I dare you not to like the tunes:


Landing - Heart Finds the Beat from Geographic North on Vimeo.



Landing - Finally from Geographic North on Vimeo.


I don't know if this one knocks "Sphere" off as best Landing album, but it comes close. Buy the vinyl or digital download here (warning: I've had trouble viewing the site with I.E.)


2. Counting Crows - Underwater Sunshine
Underwater Sunshine (or what we did on our summer vacation)
Counting Crows - Underwater Sunshine
Released: 4/12/2012
Collective Sounds

Whoosh! All the indie cred I've built up over the years just went flying out the window. I feel like I have to apologize as a punk rocker for putting this album number 2 on my 2012 list. I like Counting Crows. Always have. I keep looking for excuses to not like them (and there are plenty to choose from). They're a jam band. They're rock stars. They're old, ugly, and boring. Yet I can't quit their music. This album I really wanted to hate, because it's a covers album. Yet, they sound more excited and at home performing these songs than most of their last several albums. I almost didn't own this album because I went to the show (yes, I did), and they were selling it for $25 at the merch table (total sucky rock stars). ...but I found a good deal on Amazon, and here we are. This CD spent a good deal of 2012 in our CD player, and these songs seem like songs we've known forever.

The interesting thing about this album is that some of these songs are covers in name only-- they're written by members of the band (for their side projects), just not by Adam Duritz. Only in an ego-driven vehicle like this would these even be considered covers. These songs ("Hospital", "Untitled Love Song") are undisputedly the best on the album. The only missteps are attempting to cover britpop without a functioning falsetto "Coming Around", or a clunky cover of an old Faces song "Ooh La La". Otherwise, this works as well as any album of Counting Crows originals.

Well, I know I'm not going to change your mind about this album. Either you hate Counting Crows, and I don't blame you, or you like them, and how did you find this blog? Here's the album on amazon. Don't pay $25 for it.


3. Finn Riggins - Benchwarmers

Finn Riggins - Benchwarmers
Released 4/21/2012
Tender Loving Empire

Okay, that's more like it: A 5-song 10" EP from one of my favorite bands on my favorite record label. Finn Riggins are from Idaho, and make cerebral indie music that you can dance to. This EP has one or two dancy numbers (Benchwarmers, Parkour) and several moody pieces (Arrow, Plural). Just enough to leave you howling for more. Check this out (on vinyl or digital) and if you like it, check out their 2007 masterpiece "A Soldier, A Saint, an Ocean Explorer"



4. Mumford and Sons - Babel
Babel
Mumford and Sons - Babel
Released: 9/25/2012
Glassnote Records

As if the Counting Crows selection didn't destroy my indie cred... I've missed the hype on Mumford and Sons. I don't generally pay attention, so I've heard the name for the last few years batting around cyberspace, but never bothered a listen. Then, my wife comes home from driving in the car with the alternatrash radio station on, and asks about that song... "what song?" "I don't know. Kinda sounded like Typhoon." A little savvy research turned up that she was listening to Mumford and Sons. A quick perusal of youtube followed; this stuff was legit. So we picked up the album. It's good stuff. Tuneful, indie-ish. Cute british accents of boys exuberantly trying to play appalachian folk music.

Still, the album's pretty darn good. It's like an across-the-pond (and world famous) version of our own the Builders and the Butchers.


5. Typhoon - Common Sentiments
Common Sentiments 7" cover art
Typhoon - Common Sentiments b/w Green
Released: 10/30/2012
Tender Loving Empire


I'm not sure what I can say about this record. Typhoon has been playing these two songs in some form or another for a long time, so they don't seem new to me. Typhoon is, however, possibly the greatest band making music today, so they deserve inclusion on this list.

Here is a video:


You should buy this record. Once you've done that, here's a live performance that has both these songs that you can download for free.



Honorable Mention:

Rebecca Gates - The Float
Talkdemonic - Ruins
Afthan Whigs - See and Don't See / Lovecrimes (free)
Purple & Green - Music (free)
Joan of Arc presents Joan of Arc
Jared Mees and the Grown Children - Only Good Thoughts Can Stay
His Name Shall Breathe - We Must Not Find Him, for He Is Lost
The Hive Dwellers - Hewn from the Wilderness
Chain and the Gang - In Cool Blood

No comments:

Post a Comment