Monday, January 8, 2024

2023: Top 5 Miscellaneous Songs

 (The best five songs not on the other two lists. Either new in 2023, or new to me.)

5. Royal Blood - Boilermaker


from "Typhoons"

Warner, 04/2021

I was dragged to a Royal Blood show and had a great time. I didn't really know this band beforehand, but I'll be paying closer attention now. Recommended if you like your stripes white, your keys black, and your duo-jets flat.

 

4. Jason Isbell - Death Wish

 

From "Weathervanes"
Southeastern Records, 06/2023

Less capital-C Country, and more ... uhh.. Springsteenian (there's that word again!) storytelling from mister Isbell. I'm assuming that by 2023 almost everybody knows who Jason Isbell is. He seems like a champion of the downtrodden and underrepresented in real life, too... which makes him cooler than 30-50 feral hogs in my book.



3. They Might Be Giants - Alphabet of Nations [Extended Version]

 

From the deluxe edition (only) of "No!"
Idlewild Recordings 6/2012

I didn't think this song had a chance against the other good songs in this list... until I played it loud. These guys are REALLY selling it. They're into it. just listen. Technically, this is a re-recording, as the song also appears (in a shorter, more muted version) on 2004's "Here Come the ABCs", but John and John are so EXUBERANT! Really singing the hell out of this one. They sound excited about Oman and Pakistan, and, heck. Maybe they're right. We should all be so excited. I think my next vacation will be to West Xylophone.



2. Jimmy Eat World - Firestarter

From the "Last Christmas" 7"
Better Looking Records, 12/2001

Recorded in the Bleed American sessions, yes, it's THAT Firestarter. In hindsight, this doesn't seem long enough after The Prodigy came out for a cover. I don't have enough of the original song in my head-- It's just that creepy-eyed english bloke with the bad haircut shouting "Twisted Firestarter" and some keyboard sound effects, and the dude brushing the bugs out of his hair:

Yeah, that's it. 


Anyway, this is a cool cover, because it sounds like peak Jimmy Eat World. And I love whatever noise/drone is going on in the background. Adds to the tension of the song.



  1. Landing - Awake

From the Awake / Gravitational X Digital Single

Vast Arc Hues, 10/2023

A one-off single from Landing late in the year, and one of the catchiest songs they've ever written. This one just hits all the right notes for me. I don't know if it works for anybody else, but this I dig. It conjures sunshine, driving with the windows down, and this drifting out of the car windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment