Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Top 5 Miscellaneous Songs 2021

(The best five songs that didn't make the other lists. Not necessarily new, but new to me.)

5. Landing - Home

 

From the Landing 2021 Monthly Subscription Series (July 2021)
Also available on the Landing 2021 Monthly Subscription Series Cassette

Self-Released, 07/2021

Dick Baldwin was a regular member of Landing from 1998 through 2005. His guitar lines were always the looping, arpeggiated counterpart to Aaron Snow's washes and drones. His solo releases, Dragon and Magicorn are magical and worth tracking down in their obscurity. Apparently, SeƱor Dick has been growing as a songwriter since 2005, and came back and contributed this absolute gem to Landing's 2021 monthly series. 

Shout-out to Landing for soundtracking an epic summer road trip as well. We trained our kids to fall asleep to the sounds of 2004's Sphere at obscenely early hours (6 PM on a sunny day!) so we could wake up and hit Yellowstone before the crowds every morning. They were often asleep before "Fluency of Colors" was finished.

Landing appears with regularity on this year-end list, but this song is absolute peak Landing.  I've linked the short, poppy version, but the soaring 8 minute version is worth tracking down as well.

 

4. Men Without Hats - Head Above Water

   

From the album "Love in the Age of War"
Self-Released (?) 05/2012 

A washed-up 80s relic. I saw Men Without Hats on tour in (about) 2012 and they put on a heck of a show. Overheard at the show:  A:"I only know one of their songs" B: "EVERYBODY only knows one of their songs!"

I've had the privilege of knowing more than one of their songs-- I've had a tape (later CD) of Men Without Hats since I was a teenager, and they have SEVERAL jams, each one better than the next. The show was high energy, joyful, self-deprecating, and one of the funnest happenings I remember in our sleepy town of Salem, Oregon. 

I picked up this 2012 album ("Love in the Age of War") with pretty modest expectations. I mean, this album was obviously made 30 years past its sell-by date. Those expectations were completely exceeded. This album is all about appreciating what you are (and if what you are is a 1980s throwback, own it!) 

So, the whole album is a nice set of earworms, and this song is the earwormiest. Highly recommended for anyone who doesn't get driven berserk by The Safety Dance. 

 

3. Primal Scream - Come Together


From "Screamadelica"
Creation Records, 1991

I realize I'm a bit late to the party with Primal Scream, 30 years...but I got there. For those who don't know, Primal Scream were a baggy, vaguely dancy british band from the late 80s/early 90s, often mentioned in the same breath as The Stone Roses.

The story with this song-- Primal Scream recorded a song that sounded vaguely like this called "Come Together". Then, as they were putting this album together, they brought some remixers in, presumably for 12" dance remixes and whatnot. So, Andrew Weatherall remixed Come Together. Took out the melody, the lyrics, and just kept the groove. And it grooves for DAYS. So, this remixed version is the one on the album, and the original ended up as a B-side. Good choice.

I could play this one on a loop in my head for hours.


2. Fairport Convention - Meet on the Ledge

 

From the album "What We Did on Our Holidays"
Island Records, 01/1969

2021 was the year I finally checked out Fairport Convention. I've heard several bands covering them (including Meet on the Ledge), and I've gotten into Richard Thompson, who was the guitar player for Fairport for their first 5 albums. Speaking of their first 5 albums, I picked them up on Amazon for a steal. 

This song is just one of those perfect hippy-dippy 1960s sing-alongs (like The Weight!). I think I need to learn the chords and words so that I can sing along too.

Apparently, Fairport Convention has reached the level of fame, etc. (at least in Britain) that they play one show a year-- they put on a festival in their hometown, and lots of famous bands come play as well, and Fairport plays about two sets, one weekend per year. That's the kind of musical retirement I want. I want to skip the hard parts and go right to the one-awesome-show-per-year phase of my musical career.


 1. Mission of Burma - This Is Not a Photograph

 

From the "Signals, Calls, and Marches" EP
Ace of Hearts Records, 1981

I'm probably 15 or 20 years too late to recommend "Our Band Could Be Your Life" by Michael Azzerad. Let me echo everyone else and say "go read it." (that means you, Jen.)

Again, 2021 is the year I finally got to hear Signals, Calls, and Marches. It's just as crucial as everyone says.

This song is a post-punk banger. Start to finish. I love the little Martin Swope touches throughout, but really noticable about 1:03. I assume that's Martin Swope. I love the idea of having one band member whose sole job it is to deconstruct the band's sound. I want to be that, except my band is a duo, and it just ends up as a fight.

I don't have as many words to say about this song, but it's #1 because I like it the most. Short, and sweet, and direct. Who needs more than 2 minutes?


No comments:

Post a Comment