Monday, January 14, 2019

Top 5 New Albums 2018

5. Belly - Dove


Self-released, 05/2018

It appears that the internet in general has been none too kind to Belly's reunion album. Certainly, at the concert, we were encouraged to "Party like it's 1995". Nostalgia being what it is, I can see how this seems distasteful. Yet, this is a solid album with great pop tunes that are singable, and if Tanya Donelly's vocal acrobatics aren't quite what they were 23-odd years ago, there's a certain (ahem) maturity to the songwriting. .... Aw, heck, it's good. And it beat out some very worthy contenders to be at the #5 spot on this list.

 

4. The Holdout - The Things That Brought Us Here


Grafton Records, 10/2018

The Holdout is basically Temper and Hold with a new guitar player, and the same urgency and manic energy. Maximumrockandroll described them as "Jawbox meets Rainer Maria" and who am I to disagree? Of course, Temper and Hold made this very list with their first album, and album #2 was my #1 album of 2016.

Buy the LP from the label here.

 

3. Landing - Bells in New Towns


El Paraiso Records, 05/2018

It's getting hard to write stuff about Landing. New Landing albums have landed on this list with regularity. Yet, this is a band that after 20 years together, is making their most engaging, interesting, and catchy music. They continue to evolve, and I'm glad I'm along for the ride. Give a listen and see if you agree.

LP is sold out. If you want a CD, I'd suggest getting it here.

 

2. Pohgoh - Secret Club


New Granada Records, 09/2018

I've been on New Granada Records' email list since 1998 when I bought Pohgoh's first LP, In Memory of Bab. 2018 has seemed to be the year all the good bands are getting back together. Well, Pohgoh didn't skip a beat, and this is a great, listenable pop album. RIYL Velocity Girl, Sarge, Rainer Maria

Buy the album here.

 

1. Low - Double Negative


Sub Pop Records, 09/2018

Wikipedia tells me that this is Low's 12th album in their 24 years as a band. My ears tell me it's their best album of the twelve, and that's saying quite a lot. Three years ago, I wrote about how Low had distorted their organic sound. That was a springboard for this new sound-- My kids asked if this was actually music or just noise (boy, that's a role reversal). This is Low triply distorted, with everything washed out and thrown back together, and it's fragile, damaged, and beautiful. This is difficult music, but it's so very good.

Buy it here from Sub Pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment