Saturday, January 12, 2019

Top 5 Miscellaneous Songs of 2018

(Five songs, newly encountered by me this year, that didn't qualify for either of the other top 5 lists)

5. Casey Neill and the Norway Rats - Siphoners



From the album "Subterrene"
Incident Records, 03/2018

This catchy number has been in my head for weeks, conjuring up visions of a max headroom-eque dystopian future. Recorded with an all-star portland cast (members of every famous band you care about). This whole album is fabulous.


4. 44 Long - Everybody Has a Way



From the album "Hangover Heights, Part 2"
In Music We Trust Records, 06/2006

I had the privelege of meeting and seeing Brian Berg play in the few months before his unfortunate and untimely passing in 2015. He was truly a gifted, world-class songwriter. As I work my way through his back catalog, this song sticks out (and sticks in my ears) as particularly catchy, insightful, and timeless. Brian left a hole in this world when he left.


3. David Byrne - I Dance Like This






From the album "American Utopia"
Todo Mundo Records, 03/2018

The show was a spectacle. One of the greatest concerts I've seen. The songs are maybe one or two notches below Byrne's peak with Talking Heads in the 80s, but he's still my favorite vocalist in rock music. This song is in turns funny, ironic, and touching. "If I could dance better... I would." A good metaphor for life. I also like the subtle electronic flourishes and samples. I included the live video because it was so fun to watch. I don't think the sound is so good for the live video, though.

2. They Might Be Giants - Last Wave [demo]



From 2018 Dial-a-Song, compiled on the album "My Murdered Remains"
Idlewild Recordings, 12/2018
[non-demo version on 2017's "I Like Fun" album]


As a fancy radio deejay, I got a hookup to download (and broadcast) They Might Be Giants' weekly Dial-a-Song tracks this year. I was listening to this one and I thought it was quirky and catchy-- one of the best TMBG songs I'd heard in years, so I went to the internet to find out about it, and the all-wise internet directed me to the above video. So, now YOU need to watch the video.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

They Might Be Giants out-BLR'd Bad Lip Reading. I love the synthy guitar solos. I love the lyrics

I'm so tired of waiting / My heart is cold / The sky is dark / I'm curled up in the ashes /
We die alone / We die afraid / We live in terror / Naked and alone / We die

...Antlers!


1. Afghan Whigs - Demon in Profile



From the album "In Spades"
Sub Pop Records 05/2017

I probably should've had this song on my last year's list, but as of year-end, I still hadn't heard the whole album and I was hopeful that the whole album would be as good as this song. Sadly, it wasn't, but this song. THIS SONG. One of the best Afghan Whigs songs ever written, 25 years past their heyday. Also this video. Har Mar Superstar is hilarious and amazing, and having him stand in for Greg Dulli is perfect. I really wanted to see him open for Afghan Whigs this year, but it wasn't in the cards for me. The rest of the video is chilling and disturbing, but in a super cool way. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment